May 01, 2009

Poetry Friday roundup here

I'm beyond excited to be hosting Poetry Friday here today. Leave your links in the comments and I'll update the post.

Here's one of my favorite poems:

Theories of Time and Space

You can get there from here, though
there’s no going home.

Everywhere you go will be somewhere
you’ve never been. Try this:

head south on Mississippi 49, one-
by-one mile markers ticking off

another minute of your life. Follow this
to its natural conclusion – dead end

at the coast, the pier at Gulfport where
riggings of shrimp boats are loose stitches

in a sky threatening rain. Cross over
the man-made beach, 26 miles of sand

dumped on a mangrove swamp – buried
terrain of the past. Bring only

what you must carry – tome of memory
its random blank pages. On the dock

where you board the boat for Ship Island,
someone will take your picture:

the photograph – who you were –
will be waiting when you return

Natasha Trethewey

Susan Taylor Brown shares California native plant haiku. And she fills in for Laura Salas with a handful of 15 Words or Less poems.

Mary Lee Hahn pitches in with "Earbud," by Bill Holm.

Sally Murphy celebrates Poetry Friday with the release of her verse novel, Pearl Verses the World.

Andromeda Jazmon has a tritina, "when maple flowers cover the picnic table."

Janet at Across the Page shares dandelion poems (perfect for spring!).

Author Amok posted 9th grader Isaiah DuPree's poem, "Declaration."

Sara Lewis Holmes has "What Bee Did," by Julie Larios, as well as her last Poetry Quote of the Day for National Poetry Month.

Jama's got a handful of spring poems to ease us into May.

Karen has "Leisure," by W.H. Davies, a thoughtful poem that incorporates some of the spring-ness we're just beginning to see.

Shelf Elf shares a sweet (and so true!) poem, "Laundry" by Ruth Moose.

Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect takes us back to the good ole classics with an excerpt from A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Linda's in with an original pantoum, "Closure."

Diane shares her thoughts on "The Cuckoo's Haiku and Other Birding Poems," a new book by Michael J. Rosen.

Barbara H. has an original poem, "Ode to Hay Fever" (to the tune of The Beatles' "Yesterday"). If you've got allergies this time of year, you'll wholeheartedly relate to this one.

Neverending Story also pitches in with a poem using the 15 Words or Less prompt.

Elaine Magliaro's got letter poems at Wild Rose Reader and a video of Naomi Shihab Nye reading her found poem, "One Boy Told Me" at Blue Rose Girls. At Political Verses, she's got Bye-Bye, Bybee and Extended Engagement by J. Patrick Lewis.

Kelly Polark posted an original poem about dancing called "Family Secret."

Susan has "Fertile Ground," an original poem using a PAD prompt from April.

Kelly Fineman relays the announcement of Carol Ann Duffy as the first-ever female poet laureate of Great Britain. Check it out. She's definitely one interesting (and unique) poet.

David Elzey has twitku (haiku written on Twitter) up at Fomagrams.

Lectitans shares more of Virgil's Aeneid.

More laundry poetry from Emily Ruth at AyeCaptain Reviews, who has "On a Windy Wash Day Morn" by Brenda Seabrooke.

At Bildungsroman, Little Willow posted "Success" by Bessie Anderson.

Angela Cerrito's got a review of "Paws, Claws, Hands and Feet," a book of children's poetry by Kim Hutmacher.

Gregory K. wraps up 30 Poets/30 Days over at GottaBook.

Heidi Mordhorst shares a dogwood poem written by kindergarteners (!). It's sweet and oh so lovely. Don't miss this spectacular contribution.

Tiel Aisha Ansari has poems by Winifred Welles up at Knocking from Inside.

Sylvia Vardell participates with a quirky poem from a 9-year-old Polish boy.

Verse novelist Lorie Ann Grover jumps in with "Little Robin Redbreast" at readertotz and "Red Glass" at On Point.

The Stenhouse Blog has "The Whale" by Douglas Florian.

Jone's got color poems written by a third-grade class.

Jules from Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast pitches in with poems by Ellen Steinbaum.

Ruth links to some of the winners of the Poetry in the Wild contest over at There is no such thing as a God-foresaken town.

Julie Larios has an original poem called "Here's How" and "The Shirt," by Robert Pinsky. (She also had some really nice things to say about me. You are so sweet!)

Amanda reviews "Red Sings from Treetops," a book of illustrated children's poems by Joyce Sidman, over at A Patchwork of Books.

Jennie has The Ballad of Mulan up, as well as a review of "Wild Orchid" by Cameron Dokey (a book based off the ballad).

Tracie Zimmer posted "Peace," an original verse, up at her blog.

At Into the Wardrobe, Tarie interviewed Joyce Lee Wong (author of "Seeing Emily," a novel in verse).

Carol has poems from Shel Silverstein, including the beloved classic "Jimmy Jett and his TV Set."

Cheryl posted a YouTube video of the Cookie Monster and Kermit demonstrating Poetry.

And who can forget the remarkable Miss Erin? She's got a poem that wows me with its simplicity and perfectness. I'll never get over how lovely it is. Here's Erin with untitled.

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks so much for doing the round-up for us all.

I'm in with a few
California Native Plant haiku, with pictures.
Also filling in for Laura Salas, here are the poems from 15 Words or Less.

Mary Lee said...

Happy May! It's raining buckets here...apparently April's timer on the showers is a little off.

My poem today is about earbuds.

Sally Murphy said...

I am celebrating this particualr poetry Friday in earnest because today marks the release of my verse novel, Pearl Verses the World, at http://sallymurphy.blogspot.com/2009/05/party-party-party.html

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I like that poem very much! Clever and thoughtful.

I have a tritina up for the Poetry Stretch today. when maple flowers cover the picnic table

Janet said...

That's a beautiful poem. Thanks for hosting today! I have a post on dandelion poems here:

http://www.acrossthepage.net/?p=3271

Author Amok said...

Hi, Maya. Thanks for hosting and for sharing your poem.

This is my second attempt at a comment (so ignore if the first one miraculously comes through.)

I've got 9th grader Isaiah DuPree's "Declaration" -- a winner in the Word Up! youth poetry contest.

http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2009/05/poetry-friday-young-poets.html

Sara said...

That's a great poem. I love the line about shrimp boat riggings "loose like stitches."

I'm in today with Julie Larios's poem, What Bee Did, as well as a wrap-up of my Poetry Quote a Day for National Poetry Month.

jama said...

Cool poem. Hadn't seen it before.

Today I'm welcoming in the merry month of May with a pocketful of poems -- Sara Teasdale, Robert Herrick, Philip Larkin, et. al.
http://jamarattigan.livejournal.com/270982.html.

Thanks for hosting today!!

Karen Edmisten said...

Hi, and thank you for hosting -- I'm in this week with some leisure time courtesy of W.H. Davies. It's here.

Shelf Elf said...

Thank you for hosting today! Here is a poem called "Laundry" by Ruth Moose.

http://shelfelf.wordpress.com/2009/05/01/poetry-friday-laundry/

Happy Friday!

Tricia said...

Hi Maya,
I'm in today with Shakespeare and an excerpt from A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I also have the results of this week's poetry stretch.
Poetry Stretch Results - TritinaThanks for hosting!

Linda said...

Hi Maya,

Thanks for hosting! I'm in today with an original pantoum at http://ldkwritetime.blogspot.com

Andrea Murphy said...

Thanks for hosting, Maya! I really, really enjoyed your poem. Diane (who is on vacation which is why I'm linking for her) is posting for The Write Sisters at http://thewritesisters.blogspot.com/.
Check out her thoughts on a new book by Michael J. Rosen, "The Cuckoo's Haiku and Other Birding Poems," illustrated by Stan Fellows (Candlewick, 2009).

Diane said...

Diane of The Write Sisters reviews The Cuckoo's Haiku.

www.thewritesisters.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend everyone!

Barbara H. said...

I have an original composition today, a tongue-in-cheek "Ode to Hay Fever."

I love the imagery in your poem. We travel through Gulfport when we go from SC to TX to visit family, and I grew up on the coast of TX where a lot of folks had shrimp boats. This poem brings all of that back to me.

Diane said...

Oops! I didn't realize my Sister, Andy would be up before me and post a link! Sorry!

Jacqueline Dove said...

Hi, thanks for hosting one of my favourite memes. I've posted an original contribution for the 15 words or less prompt with some lovely images. Go here

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks so much for doing the roundup this week.

At Wild Rose Reader, I have a post about letter poems that includes two of my original poems, two book recommendations, and a suggestion for writing letter poems in the classroom.

http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2009/05/poetry-friday-letter-poems.html


At Blue Rose Girls, I have a video of Naomi Shihab Nye reciting a "found" poem she wrote using lines her young son had said. The poem is called "One Boy Told Me."

http://bluerosegirls.blogspot.com/2009/05/found-poem-by-naomi-shihab-nye-video.html


This week at Political Verses, I posted two new poems "Bye-bye, Bybee" and J. Patrick Lewis's "Extended Engagement."

http://politicalverses.blogspot.com/2009/04/bye-bye-bybee.html

http://politicalverses.blogspot.com/2009/04/extended-engagement-poem-by-j-patrick.html

Kelly Polark said...

Great poem! Thank you for hosting!
I have an original poem about dancing today at http://kpolark.blogspot.com

susan said...

Thanks Maya for hosting this week. I like what you've done with your blog and I enjoy your poetry.

Okay, I hate to be a wet rag, but I'm going to be honest here because frankly, this has come up before for me regarding Poetry Friday.

Last week, I didn't receive a single comment on my submission. Every week I participate in this meme, I make a concerted effort to read and comment to several participants because I thought one of the goals of this activity was to support fellow bloggers as well as enjoy good reads.

I feel very much like an outsider. I have thought about abandoning this meme altogether. I realize I shouldn't take this so personally since I know so few of you and therein lies the sting. I have commented to several regular participants repeatedly without reciprocation.

I apologize if my post makes anyone feel uncomfortable, but coming here and seeing 18 comments, just reinforced the alienation I have been feeling.

After all that, if anyone is interested, here's my contribution.

Anonymous said...

I'm in with news about Carol Ann Duffy's appointment as poet laureate of Great Britain. Here's the link to my post: http://kellyrfineman.livejournal.com/417720.html

Thanks for rounding us up!

susan said...

I know this poem. I have Ms. Trethewey's Native Guard. Have you read Domestic Work, too? It's on my wish list.

david elzey said...

howdy! thanks for hosting this week. i've wrangled my month's worth of original twitku (twitter haiku) as a final farewell to national poetry month.

http://fomagrams.wordpress.com/2009/04/30/twitku-round-up/

Anonymous said...

Here's mine: more of Vergil's Aeneid.

http://lectitans.livejournal.com/76074.html

Thanks for hosting!

Emily Ruth said...

Mine!
http://ayecaptain.blogspot.com/2009/05/poetry-friday.html

Little Willow said...

Good morning, Maya! Thanks for hosting Poetry Friday today.

I posted Success by Bessie Anderson at Bildungsroman today.

Angela said...

Thanks for hosting.
I posted a review of
PAWS, CLAWS, HANDS and FEET

Greg Pincus said...

I'm actually up with a roundup post of my own: a post linking to all 30 poems by the 30 poets who were on my blog this past month.

Thirty Poets/One DayThanks for hosting!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Nice to meet you, too!

I've posted a dogwood poem by kindergartners at

http://myjuicylittleuniverse.blogspot.com/

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Could someone explain to me how to get a clickable link into a comment? I must be missing something obvious, probably to do with those HTML tags mentioned below. Thanks!

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

I have a review of a little-known poet and some of her poetry, at Foremother Poet

Sylvia Vardell said...

It's a treat and a privilege to join you-- our first kid-host of Poetry Friday, I think. Thanks! Your poetry is quite impressive!

I'm in this week with an overview of my 30 April book reviews and a fresh poem by a 9 year old boy from Poland.

http://poetryforchildren.blogspot.com/

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I'm so happy to be here! Thanks for hosting today, Maya!

At readertotz we have Little Robin Redbreast.

The Stenhouse Blog said...

Here is the poetry selection on The Stenhouse Blog. Enjoy!

jone said...

Thank you for hosting! I have color poems fro a third grade class:
http://maclibrary.edublogs.org/2009/05/01/poetry-friday-color-poems/

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Thanks for hosting!

I'm in with Ellen Steinbaum at http://blaine.org/sevenimpossiblethings/?p=1663.

Jules
Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Julie said...

Hi, Maya - thanks for hosting the round-up. I have an original poem up ("Here's How") in honor of my son's birthday, and I also posted a poem by Robert Pinsky ("The Shirt")which I carried around yesterday for Poem-in-a-Pocket Day.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

And at On Point I have Red Glass.

Thanks again!

Ruth said...

I'm in with links to winning entries in the Poetry in the Wild contest.

Here's the post.

Julie said...

Oops - forgot to leave my blog name and link!! Here it is:
The Drift Record

Anonymous said...

I have a review of the poetry book Red Sings From Treetops:

http://apatchworkofbooks.blogspot.com/2009/05/poetry-friday-red-sings-from-treetops.html


Thanks for hosting!

Jennie said...

Thanks for hosting! I'm in with the Ballad of Mulan and a review of a book based on the ballad!

http://tushuguan.blogspot.com/2009/05/poetry-friday-ballad-of-mulan.html

Anonymous said...

I've got a new poem over at my house about Peace.

THANK you so muchfor doing the round up!

I can't wait to read Pearl Verses the World either :0)

Tabatha said...

You're 11?! I am thrilled that you are hosting! Wow.

My site was just moved today and I am still working out the kinks, so my poem for this week is only at my old site. I will have to catch up with PF next week. Just wanted to say hi and wow!

Erin said...

I've got an original poem up: http://misserinmarie.blogspot.com/2009/05/popcorn-plant.html

thanks for doing the roundup, Maya :)

Tarie Sabido said...

Hi. :D Today at Into the Wardrobe, I interviewed Joyce Lee Wong, the author of Seeing Emily, a novel in verse!

http://peteredmundlucy7.blogspot.com/2009/05/author-interview-joyce-lee-wong.html

Beth Kephart said...

wow!

Carol said...

A long busy week, and a super hectic Friday, but I didn't want to miss out on Poetry Friday. I'm in, very late, with poems from a dear old friend.

Nela said...

Great poem!