April 19, 2010

NaPoWriMo #19

Freefalling

I am a flier
in the middle
of the sky, caught
between cloud and city
and falling to
the ground.
I learned that the first
second after
you jump
is the best part.
I learned
that bodies
like mine
are made
for air,
for tasting
that cold open blue.
I learn now to take
the last
seconds and
hold
them. You can't
freeze time,
so let yourself
fall closer
and
closer
to the
end.

*****
I really like the shorter lines: they help me think the poem out better. I'm playing with my Alice in Wonderland theme in my head; hopefully I will be able to dish one out this month, but if not, I know I'll have some fuel to run on after the NPWM challenge is over.

2 comments:

Jessie Carty said...

this feels like one of the strongest, if not the strongest of your NaPo poems :)

Maya Ganesan said...

Thanks, Jessie! It's also one of my favorites as well.